Anatomy

Wrote this one some time ago. Finally had the chance to post it.


January 25, 2026. Sunday.

Glasgow, UK.


 

Anatomy – science or fiction?

 

No, I am not questioning science. Trust me, I believe it. Yet how amazing does it sound! How unbelievably exceptional and unfathomable. Like fiction, as if it’s all made up, a fragment of someone brilliant make believe …

 

Recently I had a chance to hold a real human brain in my hands for my anatomy class. It took me two whole hours to convince myself to touch it in the first place, yet all along when I did, even when I first saw it, I couldn’t believe what I was holding. I was holding in my hand the centre of our consciousness, the source of all intelligence, the custodian of all emotions and the generator of life itself.

 

Yet after one whole week of classes where I studied about the brain, I couldn’t understand how that ugly looking bundle of tissues and nerves does something so amazing? Control language and our senses, direct dreams and imagination, know to love and to hate, understand the world and then create. How?

 

I wonder at times, like the all of human history, about how we were created. About how all life on earth was created. Was it God? An unknown entity? An experiment of the universe? Or an expression of nature? Were we someone’s beloved art project? Or were we a toy that a child threw away? Regardless of who created us and why, I wonder how? How was this level of precision achieved … in the construction and the functioning of the human body? The heart, lungs and the digestive system … in the very cells, millions of them, that form the basis of life. In not just human life but in all forms of life. In animals, birds and even tress, that somehow just know how to give build sweetest fruits and colourful flowers.

 

Have you ever looked up at the night sky and wondered, how the universe came into existence? Constantly moving, rotating, destroying itself yet creating. The empty space and the vacuum that wraps around the celestial bodies, all floating into nothingness, yet somehow never falling apart.

 

Science, religion, philosophy – they have all tried to answer these questions since an eternity. I don’t know which explanation is correct. Perhaps we shall never know which one is correct. Yet, I would rather be enchanted and study it all in a trance, in awe of the grotesque, terrifying beauty of it all.

 

Love,

 

Srishti Manoj Jain.

Comments

Popular Posts